Are you Qualified?! M.M.P: ParT II:

When can I apply for a qualifying patient card?
Qualifying patients can begin applying for registry identification cards on April 14, 2011ttp://
Do I need to apply for my qualified patient card on-line? Can I walk it in?
No, ADHS will only accept applications submitted online.
How can I apply for a registry identification card to possess and use medical marijuana?
A qualifying patient, who has been diagnosed with one of the debilitating medical conditions will need to get a written certification from a physician (medical doctor, osteopath, naturopath, or homeopath licensed to practice in Arizona) with whom he/she has a physician-patient relationship. The written certification has to be on a form provided by the Arizona Department of Health Services (Department) within 90 days before submitting an application for a registry identification card. After obtaining the written certification from the physician, the qualifying patient can apply online for a registry identification card, after April 14, 2011.
I can't afford the cost of a qualifying patient card. Is there a way to pay less?
For a qualifying patient who is currently on the U.S. Department of Agriculture Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps), the cost of a registry identification card is reduced from $150 to $75.
If I am a SNAP participant, how do I show proof that I am receiving those benefits?
If qualifying patients wish to apply for the reduced fee card, they must submit with their application a copy of an eligibility notice or electronic benefits transfer card that shows they are participating in the SNAP program with their application for a registry identification card.
What medical conditions will qualify a patient for medical marijuana?
  • Cancer
  • Glaucoma
  • Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
  • Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
  • Hepatitis C
  • Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
  • Crohn's disease
  • Agitation of Alzheimer's disease
  • A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or the treatment for a chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition that causes:
    • Cachexia or wasting syndrome;
    • Severe and chronic pain;
    • Severe nausea;
    • Seizures, including those characteristic of epilepsy;
    • Severe or persistent muscle spasms, including those characteristic of multiple sclerosis
What if my medical condition is not listed?
State law allows a person to request the addition of other conditions to the list of debilitating medical conditions.
How can I request the addition of a medical condition to the list?
In January and July of each calendar year, the Department will accept written requests to add a medical condition to the list of the debilitating medical conditions. The requirements for completing a request to add a medical condition include:
  • The name of the medical condition or the treatment of the medical condition the individual is requesting be added;
  • A description of the symptoms and how they make it hard to do daily living activities. The availability of conventional medical treatments to provide therapy or comfort for the condition;
  • A summary of the evidence that marijuana will provide therapy or comfort for the medical condition; and
  • Articles, published in peer-reviewed scientific journals, reporting research on the effects of marijuana on the medical condition or the treatment of the medical condition supporting why the medical condition or the treatment of the medical condition should be added.
Who can write a medical marijuana certification for a patient?
Allopathic (MD), Osteopathic (DO), Homeopathic [MD(H) or DO(H)], and Naturopathic [NMD or ND] physicians who have a physician-patient relationship with the patient may write certifications for medical marijuana. The physician must hold a valid Arizona license.

What documentation do I need from the recommending physician to provide with my application?
A qualifying patient is required to submit a written certification, filled out, signed, and dated by the recommending physician, on a form provided by the Department. On the form, the physician needs to specify the patient's debilitating medical condition and state that the patient is likely to receive therapy or comfort from marijuana for the debilitating medical condition or its symptoms.
Is a licensed physician required to write medical marijuana certifications to a patient who has a chronic or debilitating condition?
No, nothing in the statute requires a physician to write medical marijuana certifications for a patient.
 What if my doctor can't or won't write a certification for medical marijuana?
The written certification given to a qualifying patient does not have to come from the physician diagnosing the qualifying patient's debilitating condition or from the qualifying patient primary care provider. The written certification can be obtained from a different physician whom the qualifying patient has consulted about the qualifying patient's medical use of marijuana.
The physician providing the written certification must state that the physician has made or confirmed the qualifying patient's debilitating condition and believes the qualifying patient is likely to receive therapy or comfort for the qualifying patient's medical use of marijuana to treat or alleviate the qualifying patient's debilitating medical condition. In addition, the physician is required to state that the physician has undertaken specific activities that are part of establishing a physician-patient relationship.
How long will it take for me to receive my registry identification card after I submit my application?
After ADHS receives a complete application, ADHS will issue a registry identification card to the patient within 10 working days.
How long will my registry identification card be good?
The registry identification card will expire one year after the date it was issued. The qualifying patient must apply for renewal at least 30 days before the expiration date. If a patient's card must be replaced, the replacement card will have the same expiration date as the card it is replacing.
How much marijuana can a qualifying patient possess?
A qualifying patient may possess up to 2.5 ounces of usable marijuana or 12 marijuana plants.
Where will a qualifying patient be able to smoke or consume medical marijuana?
According to the Arizona Medical Marijuana Act, a qualifying patient may not consume medical marijuana at a dispensary but may eat medical marijuana in foods or use infused products at other locations. State law lists places where a qualifying patient may not smoke medical marijuana, including public places. A qualifying patient who lives in a nursing care institution, hospice, assisted living facility, or adult foster care home or who attends an adult day health care facility may also have to follow restrictions imposed by the facility.
QP24: My workplace routinely tests for drugs including marijuana. If I'm a qualified patient, what kinds of protection do I have?
The Arizona Medical Marijuana Act states that an employer will not be able to penalize a qualifying patient with a registry identification card for a positive drug test for marijuana, unless the patient used, possessed, or was impaired by marijuana on the employment premises or during hours of employment. If you are unsure how the Act applies to you, consult an attorney licensed to practice law in Arizona.
How much marijuana can I buy?
A qualifying patient or designated caregiver registered with ADHS will be able to obtain up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana in a 14-day period from a registered nonprofit medical marijuana dispensary.}
{Will I have to pay tax on medical marijuana?
A dispensary will owe state, county, and any applicable local retail transaction privilege tax (Arizona's version of sales tax) on receipts from its sales of medical marijuana and any other products it may sell to consumers. As with any retail business, the dispensary is allowed to pass the amount of the tax on to its customers. Note that there is no additional or special tax on medical marijuana at this time.
If I have a past conviction for possession or use of marijuana, can I still get a qualifying patient registry identification card?
Yes, Arizona residents who have a written certification from Arizona physicians can obtain qualifying patient registry identification cards. State law requires background checks for prior "excluded felony offenses" designated caregivers and dispensary agents.}
For more INfo please visit:

Photos courtesy of Google images


Popular posts from this blog