All you fly-a-holics out there, you know I love my hip hop brain candy. I encourage all of you to know your history because everything started from somewhere. I read an article recently about 5 books that will increase your understanding of our culture. They recognize the four elements; rapping, DJing, MCing, & breaking, even the 5th element knowledge. In my experience knowledge, has only been referred to from the real heads. The original generation such as Tony Tone of Cold Krush brothers, Afrika Bambaataa, Ace Rock, etc. These are all individuals that lived through the birth of hip hop. I feel blessed to have conversed & spent time with many originals. Below is a list of informative books compiled by OC WEEKLY . Visit the SITE to get the full reviews.
1. Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation by Jeff Chang
2. Close to the Edge: In Search of the Global Hip Hop Generation by Sujatha Fernandes
3. Book of Rhymes: The Poetics of Hip Hop by Adam Bradley
4. The Real Hip Hop: Battling for Knowledge, Power and Respect in the LA Underground by Marcyliena Morgan
5. Chicano Rap: Gender and Violence In the Postindustrial Barrio by Pancho McFarland